Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Knitting time

One positive aspect of the cold wet weather we have been having this winter is it is perfect for sitting inside and knitting in the evenings. I've been watching Masterchef on tv and Game of Thrones on dvd after dinner and been getting a fair bit of knitting done which is great :-)
 
  Last weekend I finished off another pair of baby booties for an overseas friend who has just had his 3rd baby born. I Used my trusty go-to pattern and some soft merino wool (the colour is called Banana cream) that my friend Hannah gave me. I find that a pair of booties takes about 3/4 of a typical 50g ball of wool using 4 or 5mm needles. 

Once I finished the booties, I spent a little while on Ravelry looking for ideas of things to knit with 1 skein of 12 ply mohair. I have some beautiful hand-dyed mohair that my brother gave me for my birthday one year...he bought it from the Salamanca markets in Hobart, and it is gorgeous. It is made by "the Spindle Tree" and is a lovely mix of blues and greys called 'Tasman'. I really want to make something nice with it that I will actually wear, but it's hard to find something suitable for this type of yarn and only 1 75g skein. In the end I chose to try to make a neck-warmer/cowl using a fairly easy-sounding free lacy pattern. So far I'm about 14 rows into it and think it looks really good, but I'm concerned how much yarn it has used just to knit 14 rows, so I'm considering undoing it and starting again with a reduced number of stitches...maybe 24 instead of 34...but I'm not sure if that will affect the lacy pattern...or maybe it will be possible for me to buy an extra skein of the yarn from the Spindle Tree (if they have more of this colour available) so I can just continue to knit the cowl following the pattern.  



No comments:

Post a Comment